The Sorta Definitive Guide to Washington, DC area music & record stores
last modified 2012-05-06
This is a list, inspired by this DCist post and the resulting comments, of record stores in the DC megalopolis--with a special emphasis on small-time, indie-type places. Please let me know if there are others that should be added to this list!
To see these music stores and more on a Google Maps-style interface, check out this site
The District Proper
- Tiny collection of records at the info/merch/indie bookstore in the basement of the Flemming Center (1426 9th St. NW)
College Park, MD
- CDepot (8639 Loch Raven Blvd. Towson, MD 21234)
- Not a burb really, but where else do you want it?
- Sound Garden (1616 Thames St.) - a mecca. There's one in Syracuse, NY, too.
- Orpheus Records (3173 Wilson Blvd. - Clarendon -- CLOSING SOON! GO AND BUY MUSIC!)
- CD Cellar (2614 Wilson Blvd. - Clarendon) Phone: (703) 248-0635
- CD Cellar (709 W Broad St.) Phone: (703) 534-6318
- Record and Tape Exchange (9448 Main St.) [CDs/Vinyl/VHS/DVDs. classical too. right next to Trader Joe's.] [thanks Derek]
- Strangeland Records (7203 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA 22003) [small vinyl collection, mostly punk/electronic] [thanks Devo]